Welcome to Clark County
I Want To...
All Departments

Traffic Ticket FAQ

Circuit Clerk
Ami L Shaw

County Courthouse, 
1st Floor
501 Archer
Marshall, IL 62441

(217) 826-2811

State's Attorney
Kyle Hutson

2nd Floor, Courthouse
501 Archer
Marshall, IL 62441

(217) 826-6142
(217) 826-5674

No answers matched your search

Guilty or Not Guilty?

If your ticket is marked “NO COURT APPEARANCE REQUIRED” and you would like to plead Guilty and pay...

Option 1 - Go online at   to both PLEAD GUILTY and PAY. (We cannot accept online payments unless there is a Plea to the case)


Option 2 - Mail or bring in your signed Plea of Guilty on the COURT COMMUNICATION copy of your citation, to the Circuit Clerk’s office along with payment. (Personal checks are not accepted)


Option 3 - If you would like to plead Not Guilty, please follow the instructions indicated on your ticket located in the box labeled AVOID MULTIPLE COURT APPEARANCES

You may find information about your case online at:

Receiving a traffic ticket is always an unpleasant experience and if you are unfamiliar with the court system, trying to resolve a traffic ticket can be confusing and stressful. For this reason, many people choose to have an attorney represent them in their traffic cases. The decision to hire an attorney is entirely your own.

Depending on the type of offense you are charged with, you may have the right to an attorney appointed for you by the court if you cannot afford one of your own. If you do have such a right, the judge will explain it to you when you come to court.

The attorney's in the Clark County's State's Attorney's office are responsible for prosecuting all traffic tickets issued within the county.  Because these attorneys represent the people of the State of Illinois as a whole, they are legally prohibited from giving legal advice to people charged with crimes - even those charged with minor traffic offenses. Furthermore, because attorneys working for the State's Attorney's office are the ones assigned to prosecute your case, anything you tell them could be used in court. Your best option is to consult your own attorney.


  • You will need to appear in court on the date written on your ticket
  • If you cannot come to court that day, you need to put something in written form that can be placed in your file explaining the need for the continuance, which may be granted by the judge
  • The Circuit Clerk cannot change your court date for you. This may only be done by a judge


You will not have to appear in court, and you may resolve your ticket in one of three ways:

    • In person, at the Circuit Clerk’s Office
    • By mail. Mail your signed Plea of Guilty (located on the Violator copy or blue copy of your ticket) to the Circuit Clerk’s Office along with payment.


If you have proof that the vehicle you were driving was insured on the day you got your ticket, simply show that proof at the State's Attorney's office prior to the court date, or bring the proof to the court on the court date and the ticket will be dismissed.

Your drivers license status is something decided entirely by the Illinois Secretary of State. The Clark County State's Attorney's office is not involved in issuing drivers licenses, or suspending them. Direct questions in this regard to the Secretary of State's office at 1-800-252-8980

All court dates are set by the judge who presides over traffic court. In order to reschedule your court date, you will need to file a motion to continue and have that motion granted by the judge before the date you are trying to change, there is no guarantee the motion may be granted.

It is important to be present at all required court dates. If you fail to appear, several things can happen. If the ticket is for a minor offense, the Court will usually enter a judgment against you, just as if you had pled guilty. You will be responsible for any fines assessed by the court.

In the cases of misdemeanor or felony, if you fail to appear for court, the judge may issue a warrant for your arrest. Any bond you have previously posted may be ordered forfeited.